Monday, April 8, 2013

What happened to the institution of marriage?

On the way home this evening I had an interesting conversation with my sister. The institution of marriage was the topic at hand.  I had came across a posting that said " When I get married, divorce is not an option. You mad? Take your ass in the other room and calm down, cause we gone work this shit out." When I had shared this posting with my sister she made a comment that made the wheel in my head turn. She said " that's when you love and know the person you married." Have we as a society removed love out of the equation of marriage? And if so when did this happen?

In my opinion the institution of marriage is something that is sacred and needs to be held in such a light. I have been married for five years but I have been in a relationship with my husband for eighteen. Yes we are high school sweethearts. Both of us come from broken homes and we were hesitant about making that commitment for this reason. One thing we did know for sure was that we loved each other. Now back to my sister's statement. Society is rushing to make this huge sacred commitment without understanding that you HAVE TO LOVE THAT PERSON in order for the marriage to work.

We as women fall in love with the notion of the beautiful white dress and this grand wedding but forget that we are not marrying the wedding, we are having this ceremony because we are pledging to LOVE, HONOR, and OBEY the person standing next to us. We have to do better. We can't be so quick to use the "D" word and throw in the towel when things get tough. You loved this person enough to say "yes" to marriage, then continue to love this person enough to say "NO" to divorce.


No comments:

Post a Comment